Friday, March 12, 2010

Teaching My Kids The Word

I've committed to teaching my girls certain "foundational" Bible verses at a younge age. Kids learn so fast at an early age - studies show they learn more in the first 5 years of life than in their 4 years of college. The Bible says in Proverbs 22:6
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

I incorporate Bible memorization in our story and prayer time before bed each night. We go through a list of Bible verses they have memorized. Abby (age 3) knows about 20 bible verses and Kylee a few more than that. We repeat all the verses each night and when I think they are ready, add a new one. This may seem like a lot, but remember that by age 12, a good Hebrew boy had memorized the first 5 books of the Bible. So a few verses is not much at all. This will help them form a foundation of theology and Biblical worldview at an early age. Plus it is a lot of fun to do this with them.

We also do a Bible story - they have their favorites. I'll never forget the time I was telling Abby about David and Goliath and I asked her what 5 things David picked up to put in his slingshot. She held up her little hand and said "5 DOUGHNUTS!". I laughed and asked her if she was hungry. We went to get a snack and then came back and finished the story.

One night Kylee asked me to tell her a new story she had never heard. I started telling her about the time Jesus told Peter to catch a fish and inside it's mouth was the money to pay their taxes. She asked me what taxes were. That's a good question. I tried to explain that Jesus said to pay to Caesar what was Caesar's. I said he was like a president. She wanted to know what a president was. That's a good question. I explained they were leaders of our country and their faces were on our money. We then had to look at the money and name the presidents on them. She asked if one of those was our president and I said no. Our president is Barack Obama. She laughed and said that sounded like a funny joke....she immediately got up and went to tell her mom a funny joke - "Barack Obama!" she yelled. If she only knew... I talked to her about respecting and praying for our leaders and authorities.

The point is to teach your kids the Word of God at an early age. Start with one verse, learn that and build upon it. You'll be surprised how much scripture you learn as well as an adult (it will help you as well).

Here are some verses I recommend to teach your kids:

Proverbs 30:5 - Every word of God proves true.
Matthew 6:24 – No one can serve two masters.
Deuteronomy 6:5 – You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
Matthew 22:39 – You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
1 Corinthians 10:31 – Whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
Psalm 19:1 – The heavens declare the glory of God.
Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Psalm 139:14 – I praise you God, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Isaiah 43:5 – Do not be afraid for I am with you.
Psalm 1:6 – The LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that whover believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
Romans 1:16 - I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. It is the power of God for salvation for all who believe.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
2 Timothy 1:7 - God hasn't given me a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
Hebrews 13:8 - Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
Ephesians 6:1 - Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right
John 14:6 - Jesus is the way, truth and the life...
Luke 12:34 - For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp unto my feat and a light unto my path.
Galatians 5:22-23 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
Ephesians 2:8-9 -For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast
Matthew 4:4 - Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.
Romans 3:23 - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”
Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment