Friday, August 10, 2012

A Drink For The Thirsty Soul

John wrote in Revelation 1:18 these powerful words of Jesus, “I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold I am alive forevermore.” Jesus defeated death and has the keys of not only Hades and Death, but also the key to a fulfilled life in Him. John goes on to say in Revelation 3, “I know your works. You have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.” Does that sound like you? Are you spiritually dead? Sometimes the events of life can drain us. Maybe your spiritual life was once vibrant and life-giving but now it has been sucked dry. You can be refreshed and once again be satisfied.

Isaiah 55:1-2 declares the hope you need. “Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink, even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk - it’s all free! Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food.” There is a drink for the thirsty soul that only Jesus can provide. A drink of alcohol won’t fill you or bring the peace you need. The Lord isn’t saying you need a better diet (although I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt most of us). It is the refreshment in the Spirit. It is time spent in His presence. Jesus is the drink for the thirsty soul.

Maybe you’ve been through some real trials and temptations lately. The Psalmist wrote, “The enemy pursues me, he crushes me to the ground; he makes me dwell in darkness like those long dead. So my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed.” Does this sound like you? There is a drink for the thirsty soul. Perhaps you’ve experienced a personal tragedy. Psalms 61:2 says, “When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to a rock that is higher than I.” Have you been attacked unjustly by those around you? It especially hurts when it’s those you love the most. The Psalmist experienced this,” With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause” (Psalm 109:3). There is a refuge of living water for your thirsty soul.

Maybe you have been just overwhelmed with work and your life is just full and fast paced. Palm 63:1-2 says, “O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” There is no land too dry and no time too weary that a drink of His Spirit cannot satisfy. You could be even caught in shame in guilt. Psalm 38:4 says, “My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.” There is no burden too heavy for the Lord.

It is time for you to drink from the fountain of the Lord’s Spirit again. John ends Revelation with these words, “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life” (Revelation 22:17). Refreshment is only found in God’s Spirit. It is better than water in a desert and air conditioning in the summer. Respond to this invitation from the Lord to renew your relationship with Him. Repent of obstacles and sin in your way and drink of His living waters once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment