Monday, March 11, 2013

Get Stronger - Serve God Longer!

We all exercise daily?  Disagree?  Here are some examples: beating around the bush, jumping to conclusions, climbing the walls, swallowing your pride, passing the buck, throwing your weight around, dragging your heels, pushing your luck, hitting the nail on the head, wading through the muck, bending over backwards, jumping on the bandwagon,  running around in circles, eating crow, tooting your own horn, opening a can of worms, adding fuel to the fire.  LOL!

I've been convicted lately about eating healthier and working out more.  Conviction is a good thing!  It means the Holy Spirit is directing, leading, and talking to you!  I felt like God gave me this statement while I was running this morning - "Get stronger so you can serve Me longer." 

As a believer, my body is  a temple of the Holy Spirit because He is in me (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).  I was bought with a price and should glorify God in my body and spirit - the scripture says both.  I should strive to grow stronger in my body AND in in my spirit. That means I have to exercise and feed both well.  Feed - put right stuff in so I will have energy and strength to exercise - send right stuff out.

I've found that exercise bring about great discipline in my life.  I've learned to like (not love yet) running.  Ran a 5k today.  I always listen to sermons and sometime listen to worship songs.  I feed my soul while I am exercising my body.  Today I started listening to a sermon series on the book of Habakkuk.  After I ran and listened to that sermon, I went to the High School football field and did "line drills"  There are variations of that exercise but I started at the end zone, ran to the 5 yard line, back, ran to the 10, back, etc. until I ran the length of the field and back - 2,100 yards or 1.2 miles! During that time I just listened to the Lord.  It's amazing what you hear when you listen to Him!  When I wanted to quit I felt like He said to me, "You can do it!"

If you are struggling in feeding and exercising your body and soul, why not try combining the two?  Start small, achieve, apply, set new goal.  Daily, step-by-step growth is better than reading the whole Old Testament and a marathon every once in a great while (note: you'll never do either without working up to it gradually). Discipline is the vehicle dreams and goals travel on.  Discipline is a good thing - it is a root word of discipleship - being a disciple.   I'm not the best at consistent exercise but I love the results.  Who doesn't?  It's the work that no one likes.  Guess it's true - no pain, no gain. You reap what you sow.  Come on, let's get stronger so we can serve God longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment