Monday, July 22, 2013

God Gives Second Chances

I'm glad God gives second chances.  I'm not sure about you, but I'm glad for multiple do-overs.  He's a God of new beginnings, fresh starts, and mulligans.  What's a mulligan?  In golf, a mulligan is a second chance a golfer receives to perform a move or action.  In some golf tournaments, you can purchase a mulligan and use it whenever you want to.  I wish I could have a mulligan in my pocket ready to use in any situation I desired in life.  Sometimes life throws you a curve ball.  Sometimes you throw the screw-balls.  I need do-overs.  This isn't a license to sin knowing God will forgive me.  It is a desperate plea for grace and mercy because I have weaknesses and limitations.  Sometimes people give you second chances but God always gives multiple opportunities for us to make things right and grow in Him.

When I was applying for a job in high school I remember my dad saying, "You'll never get a second chance to make a first impression." That meant do my best to impress the boss so I'd get the job.  I did and Fred's was a good place to work for about a year.  When you meet someone you try make a good impression on them.  What if you make a bad impression?  They will probably always remember that and label you as they first saw you.  You may not get a second chance to make a first impression with people but you do with God.  "His mercies are new every morning" (Lamentations 3:22-23). When I wake up I have a new day to grow in and use for Him.  His grace covers my yesterdays - the bad, the "never good enough's", and my best attempts at good.  If I have messed up and sinned He forgives my sin.  God forgives and "remembers our sins no more" (Hebrews 8:12; Isaiah 43:25).  Only an all-powerful God can be all-knowing and forgetful at the same time.  He doesn't hold them against me or keep a list of my wrongs.  He gives me the greatest mulligan ever - forgiveness in Him.

I'll buy a mulligan every time I play in a golf tournament.  While not everyone does, I'm thankful for friends and family who allow me to mess up and make things right.  I'm more thankful for a God who gives me new mercies every morning and doesn't hold my sin against when I ask for forgiveness.  I'm glad God gives second chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment