Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Ugly Prayers For The President

Whether your candidate won or not, 1 Timothy 2:1-4 is still in the Bible.  "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people;  for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."  Praying for those in authority over us - from the president you don't like to the boss you despise, is Biblical.  And our prayers should not be those of sarcasm - you know, "I pray they fail..., I pray you sick em God..., etc.).  Verse three says it pleases the Lord when we pray for our leaders.  Ask yourself, "Is God pleased with the prayer I am praying (or lack of prayer) for our president and leaders?"  Verse two tells us when we pray we will live in peace and quiet in godliness and holiness.  That is my prayer - more than lower gas prices and more jobs.  We must begin praying for all our leaders.

I saw someone post a Scripture reference on Facebook about praying for the President (after President Obama was reelected).  I looked it up and was shocked.  It was Psalm 109:8, "May his days be few, may another take over his position."  At first glance it seemed innocent enough.  Obviously their candidate didn't win.  Then I began to think about it some more.  What is their heart like in this?  Then I asked the Lord about my heart in posting Scriptures.  We should never post Scriptures to meet our agendas.  That is not only taking Scripture out of context, I believe sin.  Scripture is intended to meet God's agenda.  Is God caught off guard when someone we don't like is elected?  Is He shocked?  Is He not sovereign and provident?  I think He is shocked when His people pray for harm instead of wisdom and salvation of our elected officials. 

What really hurt me is the next scripture in Psalm 109.  I hope this person missed this scripture as they took this whole chapter out of context.  Psalm 109:9 read, "May his children be orphans and his wife a widow."  What?  That is no prayer to pray for anyone!  Read the rest of the chapter as well.  That verse in context with the whole chapter is an ugly prayer for our President.  The entire chapter of Psalm 109 is about the death of an evil person.  Is God an executioner of those with whom we disagree?  I do not agree 100% with any politician, policy, or party.  Does that mean I pray harm on them?  There is no place for ugly prayers for the President in our faith.  God isn't on a candidate's side unless that Candidate is wholeheartedly for the Lord.  Governor Romney is a Mormon, which believes God came as a man from another planet, he has a goddess wife, Satan is Jesus' brother, you can become a god on your own planet (many gods), the Trinity is three separate Gods not one, salvation is not by grace through faith, and baptism of the dead - where you can be baptized in someone else's place for their salvation.  Does this mean I pray evil upon Governor Romney?  No.  I pray 1 Timothy 2:1-4 (especially verse 4).  It pleases God, who wants all to be saved and come to a knowledge of truth.  Is Obama saved?  Some say he's a Christian.  Some say he's a Muslim.  He's said both.  But God is the judge of salvation and I pray for his salvation and knowledge of Divine truth as well as that of Governor Romney.  I pray, if they haven't, they will give their lives to the Jesus of Scripture, repent of their sins, and surrender their lives to the entirety of the Gospel under the Lordship of Christ Jesus alone.  I pray this prayer for all alike, not just the President or a hopeful President-elect.

I will pray for President Obama and all elected officials and authorities.  Even if I didn't vote for them and disagree with their policy. He is the leader of this nation, and thus he is my leader.  I may have differences with Him but am mandated by the Lord to sincerely pray and honor him. 

Here is my prayer for the President and all elected officials and authorities:


Lord, I pray for the President of the United States, his cabinet, our Congress, and State and local authorities. Give them wisdom, integrity, and love for people as leaders. Help them to be great husbands/wives, fathers/mothers.  Let them have a heart for those who are truly poor, weak, and voiceless.  Let them act out of love for our nation and it's people and uphold the Constitution to it's original intent.  May they also act out of truth and wise counselors to make good decisions.  Help them to defend the unborn, Biblical marriage, and religious liberty.  Help them to serve the Lord with all their hearts, souls, minds, and strength.  Help them to be people of daily prayer as they become students of your Scripture.  May they be quick to forgive, quick to repent, slow to anger and speech, quick to listen.  Give them humility to admit fault and change their minds.  Lead them to your cross so they understand love, grace, mercy, and truth.

I pray that they will be voices of unification in our country.  We have so many divisions.  Whatever differences you have with the other party and politicians, please put them aside and seek the common good.  Surely we have more in common that in difference.  Please reach across the aisle to bring unity to our nation.  Let all you do bring hope not division or despair.  Do not blame others but work with them for a common good.  Make a difference, not just your point.

I truly respect the offices you hold and my prayers are not swayed by your actions and policies.  You have them.  I pray that your actions and policies will honor the positions and people you serve.  I humbly and compassionately obey the admonition of God’s Word to be committed in my prayers for you.  I know you face great responsibilities and challenges and cannot do it without the strength and wisdom that only the Lord provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment