Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bathtub Baptism

Tonight was very interesting and rewarding.  I had the great honor and opportunity to baptize a guy...in his own bathtub.  What? you may say?  That just sounds weird.  He is suffering from cancer that has consumed his whole body and recently gave his life to the Lord when I visited him at the hospital.  He called me and wanted to be baptized and we tried to set it up for church this next weekend but he was too weak.  He said, "Can you do it at my home?"  I had baptized many people in swimming pools, the lake, and even in a hot tub one time at on a college campus - now that was exciting!  He said he didn't have a pool but asked about his bathtub.  I instantly rejoiced and said yes. 

Another guy in our church went with me.  We anointed him with oil and prayed for healing according to James 5, took communion with him and his wife, shared scripture together, cried together, repented of sins, worshipped, then I baptized him in his own bathtub.  Odd?  Not at all!  We did more things in scripture at his house than most do at church!  He apologized for not having the strength to make it to church and I quickly told him not to apologize - we had church right there!  What memories he and his wife will have every time they enter their bathroom!  Now that's being church without walls!  What a great memory for me as well.  I'll never forget it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment