Sunday, May 30, 2010

1 To 1

I started my 1 To 1 Discipleship this past week. It is really what I love to do and have been wanting to do for some time. I have 3 guys that I am starting to meet with 30 minutes each a week. I will do this for a year and disciple them. The whole goal is 2 Timothy 2:2 - Paul told Timothy, "And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others." I disciple one, and in turn, he disciples another. That is how true discipleship is done. It is how Jesus told us to do it. It is how Paul told Timothy to do it.

I am developing the curriculum (although there is a ton of it out there) into five, 10 week booklets. That way, you can start at any level of maturity. The idea is to take a new believer within the first week of their conversion and start the once a week meetings. This is not a new concept, but a lost one. This level of discipleship cannot happen in small groups. You simply cannot focus all of your attention on one person in a group. One on one discipleship is true discipleship. I am doing a "test group" with plans to develop it where anyone can do it - 30 minutes a week for a year.

Just think about the level of maturity that will develop in believers. The person being discipled MUST disciple another. What if they feel like they can't? It is simple - just teach what was taught to you. You don't have to come up with everything. It is being done for you. What you learn, teach to another and have them do the same.

The lessons will cover the basics - salvation, baptism, assurance, forgiveness, prayer, the word, witnessing, church life, tithing, grace, mercy, theology of God, how to study the Bible, the trinity, creation, spiritual warfare, spiritual freedom, fruit of the spirit, the Holy Spirit, serving, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment