Friday, June 11, 2010

Show Your Passion

The church cannot afford to have passionless leaders in prominent positions! If you love the Lord, love people and your ministry - then please do us all a favor and SHOW IT! I'm saddened all the time when I see people in a position of leadership but are not excited. They don't smile and are stressed out by the smallest problem. Fact: you will have problems in ministry. Ministry should be fun - especially the one you say you're called to. One of the other problems of passionless leaders is that people get appointed to a leadership position because they are a “natural fit” or they are the “easiest option,” and NOT because they actually have the passion and wisdom to do an incredible job. Passion is the key ingredient that will keep a person in the game when everyone else is giving up! Stop whining and complaining about your ministry - start enjoying and displaying your passion for it!

Here is when you know someone is complaining and passionless - they don't have suggestions or solutions to fix problems. Their attitude stinks. They even have a little attitude in their voices. I'm not talking about frustration. All leaders face that. I'm not even talking about voicing problems - all leaders must do that. But a passionless leader is usually someone who just does the bare minimum, can't wait till their ministry time is over, watch the clock, roll their eyes when they recognize the caller ID is displaying someone in need, and don't dream anymore. They are not having fun anymore. It is a job, not a joy. It is a chore, not worship. It is duty instead of devotion! They are passionless!

I always think about Paul being shipwrecked and hanging onto a board in the middle of the sea. Sure there was a problem. But did he quit? Did he lose his passion for the Lord? No. He hung on tight because the ministry he was called to wasn't over. He didn't want to sink because there was so much more to do for the Lord. His passion came through when he wrote his letters to the churches. His passion showed up and showed out! Never apologize for passion!

5 Steps To Regaining Your Passion For Ministry

1. Get somewhere quiet and seek the Lord! I mean seek the Lord, don't complain about your ministry or problems. Seek Him, not solutions for your ministry. Lay it all out and let Him break you down and begin to build you back up.

2. Talk with someone who has been there and will encourage you

3. Repent for your lack of passion for the Lord. Remember, it isn't passion for your ministry that will keep you going - it has to be passion for the Lord.

4. Take a break with the intent to come back and do it with passion! Discuss your intended break with the leader over you. Describe your goals in your break and make sure your goal is to grow in the Lord and return refreshed and renewed.

5. Watch others who are passionate about the Lord and their ministry. Nothing energizes and motivates me more than to see those doing what they love. It reminds me of my love for the Lord and the love for the calling of ministry.

1 Timothy 1:12 - "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service."

Acts 20:24 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment