1. You'll always have more to get done than you can possibly do in a day. Especially when you are in the ministry and especially when you are passionate about what you do. BUT - you have to prioritize your family. Leave time to eat dinner with your family. Spend time with your kids at night. Don't pack your day so full that your family suffers at night. Trust me, the work and ministry will be there in the morning.
2. If you don't, you should hate it when people don't plan. I do. Usually this happens and they expect you to drop everything you've planned and help them not look so embarrassed (or embarrass you also). Come on people - PLAN THINGS OUT WELL!
3. A day of rest is something the Lord requires us to do. Someone once said, "the devil doesn't take a day off, neither will I". Sounds good, but the devil isn't our example. God spent more time on "Remember the Sabbath..."
4. In Luke 8:37, after Jesus had healed the demon possessed man and sent the demons into the pigs, the people gathered together and asked Jesus to leave. What? Leave? They were fearful it says. I think it was because they feared he'd cause more pigs to die and hurt the pig farmers more financially. They were more interested in their finances than Jesus' ministry. We should be willing to let all of our finances and possessions go for the sake of the Gospel and ministry!
5. Everybody should be discipling somebody! You should be sharing what you learn during the message, your quiet time, etc. with somebody on a consistent basis. When we don't, we disobey the commands of the Lord to go and make disciples - Matthew 28:19.
6. Yard sales and flea markets are great things to get up early for. I did both this past weekend. Found a tackle box for a quarter that has a flashlight built into the handle - yes, I'm a nerd. Bought some blueberries at the flea market and made some muffins from scratch Sunday morning! Yummy! But, nothing beats getting up early and spending time in the word and hearing from the Lord. If you get up early for anything, make sure you get with God first!
7. I believe God has great things in store for Family Church! Our best days are ahead. Haggai 2:9 says, "'The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,' says the LORD Almighty. 'And in this place I will grant peace,' declares the LORD Almighty."
8. I think one of the ways to kill what God is doing in your church is to wait until everything lines up perfect before you make a decision. Just believe God, pray big prayers and GO FOR IT! Also allowing people who have never done anything for the Lord to dictate how you run church will kill God's plan for your church.
9. 9 out of 10 people who start out in ministry full time don't retire in it. 90%!!! Pray for your pastors and leaders. Encourage them and lift them up! Help them accomplish what God is calling them to do.
10. Don't just expect people to do what you think they should do and then talk bad about them after they fail in your eyes. Speak your expectations to them and build a team that accomplishes great things for the Lord.
OK, 11 - eat at the Woodshed Restaurant! I recommend the turkey salad and ribs! Let them cater your next event. Go Bryan and Kassie.