Wednesday, August 11, 2010

10 Random Thoughts

1. I love kids. I love Children's Ministry. I don't need anyone to motivate me in that area. This doesn't me that I'm not in need of leadership. I need leadership. Why am I self-starting in ministry? It is overflow of time spent with Him. I am continually spending time with the Lord and because of that I am growing in Christ. When I grow and spend time in Him on a consistent basis, my ministry reflects it. I worship every day. I pray every day. I read the word every day. I listen to Him every day. We try to grow our ministries all too often by concentrating on what we don't have instead of concentrating on what we do - THE HOLY SPIRIT living in us. Yes we need tools for ministry but the same Holy Spirit that formed the early church and grew by leaps and bounds (with no resources, no budget, no classrooms of their own, no creative games, no technology and no All-Star children's ministry staff) lives in me and is ready to do the same in our church. They were desperately in love with the Lord. They were His fuel that burned and ran the early church because they were being renewed and changed daily in Him. We should use every resource available. We should search out the best tools and greatest games. But we desperately need to seek the Lord first. If we don't do that then everything we try in the flesh will fail.

2. I hate it when people say my job as a pastor is not a real job. Because it isn't a real job then they say I have all the time in the world. After all, we just sit at home all day and do nothing. Right? Wrong! My entire weekend is filled with ministry. I go to work every day and work 9-10 hours a day, come home (maybe) THEN spend 4-6 nights a week away from my family doing ministry in meetings, counselings, etc. I sometimes don't see my kids during a day. The phone never stops ringing. My job doesn't cut off at 5pm. I make sure I make my family a priority but sometimes it is tough. And you know what---I love it! I love the ministry. I'm called to it and have the best job in the world. Why? Just take today. Today, I visited and prayed for two families who had new babies in our church at the hospital. I led a guy to the Lord in his driveway. I counseled with a couple having marriage issues. I talked on the phone to 3 different guys today and encouraged them. I helped a lady find a job today. I met with a young man this afternoon and helped him find clarity for his calling in life and how to take things one step at a time. I organized some things for two different chidlren's ministries today to make them function and serve our kids and families better. I served some people in our church today for about an hour to help grow their new business. I wrote a lesson for our life group ministry. I met in a group of children's workers tonight and dreamed about elementary ministry. Today was packed! I look back and realize I made a difference. I didn't just punch a clock. I didn't just make come cogs and sprockets. I didn't just make the donuts. I was an instrument used by the Lord in a wonderful calling to bring about real life change. Today, I fulfilled my purpose. Not a real job? You are right. It's not a job to me at all. It's a lifestyle that I just happen to get paid for. It is a joy, not a job. It fulfills me, not burdens me. I look forward to it every morning and wake up in the middle of the night dreaming about it. Pastoring is the greatest job and the pastors I serve with are the hardest working people I know. They sacrifice so much to see so much happen in the Kingdom. Thank you Lord for the greatest job of all.

Sorry. Now that those are out of the way the rest of these will be shorter.

3. I heard another pastor say this, “Becoming obsessed with what others think about me is the quickest way to forget what God thinks about me.”

4. God will take care of His people. He shows us what we are to do. He isn't always as upfront about how to do it. We should always obey and do the "what" before we know all of the "how to". As we seek Him about the "what" he will reveal to us the "how to".

5. The two biggest questions parents ask their kids about church is: 1) did you have fun? and 2) what did you learn? We have to do both of these well.

6. I led a guy to the Lord today. Not in my cozy office or after a message I preached but in his driveway. Nothing will put a pep in your step for ministry like evangelism. When was the last time you asked someone if they have given their life to the Lord? Do it tomorrow. Hang around lost people. Get out of your Christian circle.

7. I want to live my life for the Lord like Jeremiah talked about in Jeremiah 20:9 - But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot."

8. If you are truly called by the Lord to something, you will sacrifice for it. You will have to in order to see the fruit come to pass. Things that are important to this world must fade away if we are going to see Him show up.

9. Don't do ministry out of obligation. Do it out of desperation.

10. Apart from Him (John 15:5) I can do nothing. If I want much fruit, I must abide (live, move and have our being - Acts 17:28) in Him. I can't snack, I must feast! I can't dabble, I must devote. I can't catch the highlight reel, I must be in the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment