Thursday, June 7, 2012

Jesus My Good Shepherd

The Bible says Jesus is our Good Shepherd. In John 10:10-11 we see, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd.” What a reassuring verse! Jesus desires the best for us. As I played golf this past weekend I was overwhelmed by the beauty of God’s creation. The course was beautiful and the weather was absolutely amazing. Talk about green pastures! But given time and lack of maintenance, those lush greens would turn brown and die. Psalm 23 tells me He leads me besides green pastures. These pastures never stop producing and providing for you and me! And unlike my golf game, I’m led beside the still waters not to look for lost golf balls but to drink of the richness of Christ.

Psalm 100:3 displays the relationship all who are in Christ possess. “Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of His pasture.” What is our "Good Shepherd" like? Just what makes Him so good?

First, the Good Shepherd provides. Philippians 4:19 declares God will meet all my needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. How comforting to know as long as I stay close to the Shepherd I will have all I need in Him! Another blessing from the Good Shepherd is He restores us and gives us peace. John 14:27 says He grants peace in times of fear and uncertainty. When our hearts become troubled all we have to do is rest in His goodness.

The Good Shepherd also provides great leadership. If we will listen to His voice He will call us by name and lead us into the plans He has for us (John 10:3-5). The way we recognize the voice of the Good Shepherd is by spending time with Him. His sweet and soothing voice guides us to protection, provision, and prosperity. The Good Shepherd also defends us. One can have great comfort when the Good Shepherd is near as He wields a mighty rod and staff. He defends to the end as He lays down His life for His sheep (John 10:11).

The Good Shepherd knows how to give us great support as well. 2 Timothy 4:16-17 says, “No one came to my support but everyone deserted me. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength.” When it seems like everyone else has deserted you in your time of trouble, remind yourself the Good Shepherd never left (Hebrews 13:5). The Good Shepherd also blesses His sheep. This great Shepherd of the sheep will equip you with everything good for doing His will (Hebrews 13:20-21).

To get the good you first must know the Shepherd. Don’t expect to get the good apart from Him. John 10:14 shows the relationship needed between the Shepherd and the sheep. “I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” Get to know the Shepherd and you’ll realize just how good He really is. Now that you know about the Good Shepherd isn’t it time you get to know the One who gave His life for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment